Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives is a Government Ministry responsible for promoting trade and industry and cooperatives for the development of the country.
This Ministry is to ensure expansion and diversification of trade, cooperatives, environmentally sustainable industrialization, appropriate technology, conservation and preservation of other tradable national products.
The roles above are targeted at generating wealth to benefit the country socially and economically.
This Ministry has affiliated institutions like Uganda Commodity Exchange Limited (UCE), Management Training and Advisory Centre (MTAC), Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS), Uganda Industrial Research Institute (UIRI), Uganda Export Promotion Board (UEPB) and Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) to carry out its role.
Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives has the following Departments: External Trade, Internal Trade, Cooperative Development, Industry and Technology, Finance and Administration.
Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives is mandated to:
• Promote External and Internal trade
• To formulate policies and regulations for sustainable development of, trade, industrialization and technology, and co-operative.
• Oversee and facilitate implementation of strategies and programmes aimed at trade, industry and cooperatives development in Uganda.
• Inspect, monitor and evaluate the progress, standards, state and efficiency of the various sectors, under the trade, industry and cooperatives.
• Conduct studies and evaluate the impact of the policies of this sector in regard to advancement of the diversification, effect on the poverty eradication programs.
• Assess the need and where necessary, mobilize resources to support balanced industrial, co-operatives, and entrepreneurial development.
• Collect, process, analyze, and disseminate national and international data/information on the sectors and (provide an input for) rational decision-making.
• Participate in negotiations and implementations of arrangements relating to international and national treaties of the diversified sector.
A Minister of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives, Hon Amelia Kyambadde is charged with provision of political leadership to this Ministry.
Parliament Avenue, Farmers' House
P.O. Box 7103 Kampala, Uganda
Telephone: 256 414 314 218