The Government of Uganda ( GoU) is in the process of establishing a minimum of twenty two Industrial and Business Parks ( IBP’s) throughout the Country to mainly create jobs and add value to locally available raw materials. In creating jobs in these workplaces, new manufacturing and other skills will be acquired by the citizens as well as increasing trade in new products and improving on those already under production.
The main IBP being set up by the Uganda Investment Authority (UIA) is the Kampala Industrial and Business Park located 11 km East of Kampala, the National Capital city. It is a 2200 acre facility and will include a number of Industrial clusters and large projects. More than two hundred investors have been allocated land in the Park.
On the outskirts of Kampala, UIA is developing two Parks:
Luzira Industrial Park is located 5 km East of Kampala. The 70 acre facility is operational with functional infrastructure ( road, water, power). Power is being upgraded to investor’s requirements. Fifteen investors are at various stages of establishing their projects.
The 45 acre Bweyogerere Industrial Estate is 10 km North East of Kampala. The land has been allocated to seven investors.
The establishment of Up-Country Industrial Parks by UIA is in progress:-
1. Soroti IPB is 350 km North East of Kampala and is 219 acres in size. Five acres of land in the IBP have been allocated to the Teso Fruit Farmers Association to tap the large fruit potential in the region.
2. Kasese IBP ( 217 acres) is located 430 km from Kampala in Western Uganda near the border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo ( DRC). The IBP location is intended to stimulate agricultural products value addition and mineral beneficiation in the region.
3. Mbarara SME Park is a 12 acre facility built up to cater for small scale enterprises adjacent to Mbarara Municipality 280 km southwest of Kampala.
4. Mbale IBP is located in Mbale Municipality 250 km East of Kampala.
5. The Jinja IBP ( 182 acres located 80 km east of Kampala) is being established. More land is to be acquired in the near future. Jinja is being re-activated as a major industrial town that it once was.
6. In Moroto, 417 acres of land have been identified for acquisition. Mineral beneficiation activities are being targeted for employment generation.
7. Negotiations to acquire 500 acres of land to establish the Gulu IBP at have been initiated. Gulu is 350 km North of Kampala.
8. Land ( 150 acres) has been identified for the establishment of an IBP in Kabarole and Kyenjojo Districts.
9. It is planned that in 2011/12 land for an Oil Park ( 500 acres) be procured in the Masindi / Hoima area.
10. In implementing the Presidential Initiative ( PIRT) it is planned that a Leather Tanning Park ( 300 acres) be established in Eastern Uganda.
11. Bids to provide IPB land continue to be received by the UIA from Masaka, Bushenyi, Lira, Iganga and Mubende.
Fore More Infomation visit The Uganda Investment Authority